News Brief: 3/24 – 3/30

This past week at SHHS was very lively as well as exciting. It was packed full of exciting events for the students at the high school. Many sports events were rescheduled due to inclement weather.

On Friday, March 24, SHHS held a mock ACT. Also, SHHS cheer tryouts were held in the auxiliary gym. The baseball C Team game against Blue Valley North was rescheduled to be held on April 24 due to inclement weather.

Over the weekend, the Bronco Baseball Camp took place.

On Monday, March 27, the baseball C Team doubleheader against St. Thomas Aquinas was rescheduled to April 12 due to inclement weather. The girls’ JV soccer team won 8-0 against Ottawa. The girls’ varsity soccer team won 4-1 against Ottawa. Kaylen Dawson, 9, had a hat trick (scored three goals).

On Tuesday, March 28, a senior parent meeting was held in the auditorium at 8:30 a.m. During the school day, sophomore students took the reading state assessment, and there was a shortened schedule to accommodate the testing. The softball team won 13-0 at Chanute and won 10-0 at Fort Scott. The JV baseball doubleheader was rescheduled to April 17 and May 11, and the varsity baseball doubleheader was rescheduled to April 17 and May 11. During the boys’ tennis JV quad at DeSoto, the boys won 10-2 to take 1st place. Josh Hernandez went 3-0 at #1 singles to take first, and Noah Morse and Keegan Crotchett also went 3-0 to take 1st place at #2 doubles.

On Wednesday, March 29, reading state assessments were taken again by the sophomores, and there was another day of shortened scheduling. Also, the band traveled to play at Ottawa and be critiqued by clinicians from Kansas State University and The University of Kansas. Additionally, students in the art department traveled to Prairie View to bring their pieces to an art show. Finally, the vet science class took a field trip to Knappenberger Vet Clinic and Paw Palace during first and second hour. The boys’ tennis varsity invitational tournament at Mill Valley was rescheduled to March 31. The C Team baseball game doubleheader against DeSoto was rescheduled to April 26. The girls’ varsity soccer game at Tonganoxie was rescheduled to April 28. The girls’ soccer JV game at Tonganoxie was rescheduled to April 28.
On Thursday, March 30, the theater department performed the matinee showing of their play “Arsenic and Old Lace” during the school day. If they purchased tickets, students were released from class to watch the play in the auditorium. The boys’ tennis JV game at Mill Valley was rescheduled to April 4. The JV and varsity softball doubleheaders at Ottawa were rescheduled to April 20.