Nursing, Here We Come

LaurenOberkrom, Literature Magazine Editor in Chief

For many, not having a nursing program at the high school does not allow them to get a head start on their college degree. However, Clay Frigon, CTE director, has helped many students get involved with the nursing program at Johnson County Community College.

This allows them to figure out whether they want to pursue a job in the field and also get some of their prerequisites out of the way, at a cheaper price, before going to college.

I took [the CNA nursing class] because it was a really good opportunity through JCCC as a high school student to take it for free,” Alyssa Hannon, 12, said. “I want to go into healthcare, so it was a really good step into that direction to test the waters and make sure that’s the type of work I want to spend the rest of my life doing.”

There are many different reasons as to why a person would choose the career field that they did. From following in a family member’s footsteps, to wanting to become their childhood dream job – the list goes on and on.

“I either want to go into the oncology field or a nurse anesthetist,” Malachi Bowman, 12, said. “[I want to pursue a job in this field because] my grandpa died of a brain tumor.”

Most students enrolled in the program said that having an opportunity like this is worth taking advantage of. They agree that it was a smart choice to take this class.