Meet the Soccer Coaches

KatieOrton, News Magazine Editor in Chief

1. How many years have you coached soccer? (Not just through our school, but in general whether it be recreational or through a different school.)

Schmitz: I have coached a peewee soccer time in the past. However, this is my first time working with an actual soccer team. It’s a new challenge for me.

Swartz: This will be my 4th year coaching, 2nd with Spring Hill and only my first as head coach.

Maynard: 15 years.

1. If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would you change?

I would travel back in time and stop Thomas Edison from running his slur campaign against Nikola Tesla.

I wouldn’t have driven into a flood when the town had no power. Flooded my car.

Play college soccer.

1. Why did you decide to become a coach this year, or step up to become varsity coach in Swartz’s case?

I have always loved soccer and been interested in the possibility of coaching. When I heard that the boys team needed a coach for C team, I volunteered. I thought it would be a good challenge, and give me a chance to meet the students of this school, since I don’t know many yet.

I had a blast coaching the JV last season and when the position came open for the Varsity team, I knew I wanted to continue my time at Spring Hill.

It’s something l like doing and wanted to continue to do.

1. What are you most looking forward to accomplishing with your team this season?

I am looking forward to accomplishing progress. I want my team to be able to look back on the year and see that they have gotten better as individuals and as a unit.

Getting back to State would be an amazing feat for this program to do two years in a row.

Making them better soccer players.

1. What is your favorite store to shop at?

Rickel’s

Academy Sports

Walmart, I guess

1. Did you used to play soccer? (If so, how many years?)

I’ve played soccer since I was 5 years old. I quit playing competitively in middle school. After that, I only played pickup games with friends, and on college intramural teams.

I played soccer for 15 years – started at 4 and went until I was 19 at MidAmerica Nazarene University.

I have played since I was 7 and still play on Friday nights.

1. What is your most treasured possession? (Can be a person or object with special meaning.)

My puppy, Missy

My fiancé

My two daughters

1. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be to?

Venice, Italy

Australia

British Virgin Islands

1. What do you hope to gain personally from coaching soccer this year?

I hope to improve on how I interact with a wide variety of students. I want to be able to motivate them, but keep them entertained as well.

With it being my first year as Head Coach, I want to become better at being able control a program more efficiently and more organized.

Just knowing that the players have improved

1. What’s your favorite soccer move either to see or do and what makes it your favorite?

I love to see a great save. One of stretched out dives that just barely makes it there.

A great goalie save. I was a goalie from 8-19 so when I see a goalie make a great save, I can watch it over and over.

Cut back

1. If you could meet one famous person of your choosing, who would it be and what would you do together or where would you go to meet?

Donald Glover seems like he would be a pretty cool guy to hang out with.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, just talk and watch a soccer game – heard he’s pretty entertaining to talk to.

The president of the United States. Just to let them talk about things.

1. Do you plan to continue coaching in future years, if so would you stay with the same team or hope to switch teams at some point?

I would love to continue coaching. We’ll see if anyone else feels the same way about me.

Yea, I plan on staying here at Spring Hill for a while.

Coach until I can’t, it’s way too much fun.

1. Who is your favorite president and why?

James K. Polk. I think he is underrated.

Abe Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln He really changed this country in time which was not easy.

1. What is your zodiac sign? (If you don’t know, you can just tell me what day and month you’re born and I can figure it out for you.)

First of all, The stars and planets have absolutely nothing to do with your personality. Stop it. Secondly, taurus.

January 18, 1990 – Capricorn

December 14 – Sagittarius

1. If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?

First I would wish that every day was taco Tuesday. Secondly, I would wish for the ability to fly (I would save so much money on gas). And finally, world peace or something like that.

Have my own private jet so I could go anywhere at anytime, have a beach house in the Bahamas, and pay off my student loans. Third one should probably happen before the others.

To retire today. Drink as much Dr pepper as I want. And be on a beach in the British Virgin Islands.

1. Who’s your favorite professional soccer team?

Sporting KC

Manchester United

Sporting Kc and Barcelona

1. Do you play Fifa or not? (and what you like about the game if you do play.)

I do. I like the competition of it all.

Yes, I like the career mode to make your own team.

I have played it before but not that much.

1. What kind of food do you prefer and what is your favorite dish within that category?

BBQ. Specifically Kansas City BBQ, because all other BBQ is inferior.

Italian, I don’t know if I have a specific favorite meal but really good Cajun pasta is hard to beat.

Mexican. Enchiladas

1. What do you put on your burrito at Chipotle? (If you don’t like Chipotle, what do you put on your at home burritos?)

Burrito Bowls for life. Brown rice, pinto beans, chicken, spicy salsa, cheese, and guac (I know it’s extra).

Pulled pork, white rice, black beans, lettuce, hot sauce, guacamole, and corn salsa.

Chicken, black beans, pico de gayo, avocado slices, and cheese.

1. If you could live in the world of any movie, what movie would it be and why?

The Martian. Spending a few years alone, growing potatoes sounds pretty nice.

Inception

Honestly I have no clue.