There Is No Easy Solution

There Is No Easy Solution

After the deadly school shooting in Florida, leaving 17 dead and many more injured, the survivors are taking a stand against gun laws and the indecisive congress. Although Trump has promised more rigorous background checks with mental health screenings, nothing has happened as of yet. Many students around the country participated in a school walk-out last Wednesday, Feb. 21 and students in D.C. laid down outside the White House to symbolize those who died in the recent shootings chanting, “no guns, no NRA, no violence in the USA,” and “Donald Trump, Mike Pence, gun control is common sense.”

Many students protest for the fear that one day their school may be the next one showing up in the headlines. Furthermore, the students are wanting automatic and semi-automatic rifles banned in the US. However, since 2012 there have been 1,607 mass shootings with over 100 gun control bills being presented to congress yet all have failed. Two bills are sitting in congress right now waiting for approval. One of them would restrict the minimum buying age of an AR-15 to 21 if they are not a member of the military. While the NRA disagrees, Trump condones the idea of this proposed plan. The other proposed ban in a ban on the infamous bump stocks – a stock and handle that would modify a semi-automatic gun to utilize the gun’s natural recoil to increase the fire rate. The bump stock was used in the Las Vegas shooting when a gunman shot down on a crowd from his hotel room. Lastly, criminal records aren’t being reported into the main criminal database known as the National Instant Criminal Background Check System which is allowing these thugs to buy guns. This bill would increase the enforcement of this system with financial incentives to the state.

Until then, it is up to the people and their voice to really make a difference in our country.