What If: P.E. Was Required All 4 Years?

In all of a student’s school career, they have taken a physical education (PE) class each year, at least up until freshman year. So what if we were required PE classes throughout the rest of high school and even into college?

There are many benefits to taking a PE class in school. The health benefits alone make a statement of how important these classes are. 41.3 percent of people who did not have PE in their school career are inactive today, in their later years. Of the students who did take PE classes in school, 19.6 percent are active in their life after school. The percentage of students who partake in a physical activity and took PE classes is over double the percentage of students who did not take PE classes at all. The activities that students do in PE classes encourage students to try out for or join a sports team or even start a program on their own, such as running.

Being involved in a PE class helps students learn about the health side of their lives but also the social aspect. Students learn how to be on a team or group, how to work with others and it can improve a person’s confidence. When playing sports in PE, students are put on teams, possibly with people they have never met or people they do not like working with. This helps students learn how to work with difficult people, like they will have to in their future. While learning new skills, students can find a new talent, giving them a confidence and passion.

Participating in a PE class can reduce stress and improve grades. It gives students a chance to get up, move around and have some fun. Given the chance to get some blood flowing, students can come back to class ready to sit down and focus.

There are many benefits to a person’s health, social skills and future that come from participating in a PE class. Students, and later in their lives- adults, can become better athletes and better people.