Students Hold A Walkout

One of the founding principles, and most treasured, of the United States is the people’s right to protest and petition the government. It’s a right that has been exercised often and well throughout the nation’s history, from the Boston Tea Party to the March on Washington. The causes for which people gather and protest vary, but they are always a cause for passion and anger. Whether you rage against the government, racism, gun violence or a million other problems plaguing society, your ability to protest is not a privilege that you should be grateful to have, but a right that comes with your very birth.

Walkouts have been a valuable tool for protest throughout history, from labor disputes to protect free speech while expressing disapproval. Friday, April 20, a walkout was organized by students across the nation, who came together to protest the wave of gun violence across the country and call for increased legislation for gun control. In SHHS, our walkout was arranged by Lucy Kuhn, 12, and Riley Lees, 11, who spoke with the administration to ensure it could go one without punishment.

While the lack of punishment involved in the walkout eased the fears of many who were genuinely passionate about the issue, it also opened it up to students who only wanted to get out of class. It’s impossible to quantify the motivations of those who participated, but there were some who actively disrespectful. During the walkout, seventeen minutes of silence were held for those murdered in the Parkland shooting, as well as to honor all of those who’ve been lost to gun violence. Several small groups of students talked during this meaningful silence, disturbing others and tainting the moment.

Yet there were many students that attended because of their strong feelings. School is supposed to be a safe place for all students, yet across the nation they fear for their lives. Some teachers disapproved of the walkout, citing that it was disruptive and took time away from class. But what they don’t acknowledge is the hours wasted for drills, precious time that was spent teaching students that they needed to fear for their lives. If time can spent doing that, why should students not protest the fact that they have to do it in the first place?