What is the Hype Over Netflix Originals?

Over the summer Netflix released the movie “The Kissing Booth” and twitter and other social media platforms took it and ran with it. The Netflix original was anything but a disappointment to the young adult and teen viewers. For some older viewers, the movie has been described as one that was so bad that it was good. Shortly after being released, the high school rom-com became a sensation with young audiences. The movie was the number one watched movie on Netflix over the summer. In “The Kissing Booth,” the lesson to be learned was that not everyone is always going to approve of who you date or who you are with, but as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

“The Kissing Booth” is not the only Netflix original that caught the eye of young audiences, “To all the Boys I’ve Loved Before” caused a lot of talk around numerous social media platforms as well. The movie was easy to love with a main character like Lara Jean. Lara Jean is a nice, sweet girl with just the right amount of sarcasm making her the perfect mix of funny. The movie keeps viewers interested when Lara Jean’s quiet life takes a turn after her little sister sends out five love letters Lara Jean wrote. A girl that once thought she was invisible to everyone has now accidentally confessed love to five different boys all at once.

The last Netflix original to catch the media’s attention, and more recently, is “Sierra Burgess is a Loser.” The movie, like the rest, is just another teenage drama rom-com movie. Time and time again these movies do not disappoint. While they are all alike they all have their individual twist on the rom-com genre. The movie, “Sierra Burgess is a Loser,”  twist on the rom-com genre is one that definitely caught the young audiences off guard, but definitely in a good way. Rather than your typical high school quarterback and cheerleader love story high school movie, Sierra Burgess rather pretends to be a cheerleader. With a little help from a cheerleader in her school, Sierra pulls off something unimaginably.

The ending of the movie, however, is definitely the selling piece of this movie, it is what makes “Sierra Burgess is a loser” unlike all the other cheesy high school love story movies. This movie touches on a sensitive topic surrounding girls looks and self confidence, while still allowing the self-conscious main character to find love in a different way. The movie grabs the attention of any high school girl who has ever or still does feel self-conscious about themselves in any way. “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” shows young girls that your looks are not everything no matter what others say. Being beautiful on the inside really does get you a lot further than being beautiful on the outside. Each of these movies showed young girls an important part of relationships and there were lessons to be made from each of them.