Christmas in KC

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christmas in KC

Madison Sutton

Christmas seems to be approaching faster and faster each year, so it’s time for Kansas City residents to start up some favorite holiday festivities. However, sometimes it can be hard to know what to do to embrace the season. There are so many ways to celebrate the best time of year, and anyone who wants the scoop on where to start, is in luck.

Everyone knows that during the holiday season, Americans tend to consume a lot of food. Are you ready to burn off those mashed potatoes? The Santa Dash is an annual event where anyone and everyone can run a 5K. It’s held in Westport, MO, just south of downtown Kansas City, on December 1st. The catch? There’s always a catch; anyone who participates in the Santa Dash gets a free Santa suit to wear during the run. The entry fees start at $12 for kids to $39 for adults, depending on how many people register. Overall, this is a great way to get into the Christmas spirit and a great way to stay in shape.

Another way to take advantage of Christmas in Kansas City is to watch the Plaza Lighting Ceremony on Nov. 22 from 5-9. This year will be the 89th Plaza Lighting Ceremony, and it is a tradition that most people in the area love and enjoy. Plus, it’s  free! So, no matter your holiday budget, this is a perfect way to celebrate the season.

The Kansas City Ballet is a company that the city prides itself on, and one of their most famous productions is the Nutcracker. It’s a classic show that anyone, at any age, can enjoy. The impeccable scenes, dancers and choreography is impossible to miss out on. Watching the Nutcracker is a great way to kick back, relax and ignore the unwrapped presents for a couple hours.

Overall, there are endless ways to seize this holiday season and make amazing memories to last a lifetime.

About the Writer
Madison Sutton, Staff Writer

I’m Madison Sutton and I’m a sophomore. This is my second year in SPUB, and I’m so excited for what this year holds. I’ve always enjoyed writing...