Making Millions By The View

Back to Article
Back to Article

Making Millions By The View

Courtney Costain

YouTube, a social media platform where users can create and upload videos to the website has recently grown far behind what the creators ever expected. The first ever uploaded video to the site was by one of the co-founders, Jawed Karim, on April 23, 2005. The teen uploaded a video of him talking about elephants trunks with the video titled “Me at the zoo” filmed by his high school friend Yakov Lapitsky. The video has since then received a little over 60 million views. However, that does not compare to the current most viewed youtube video which is the Despacito music video, reaching almost six billion views.

Youtube is not only a place for big artist to upload music videos, but it is also a social media platform where users can create their own channels. You can find Youtubers who make videos of all kinds, there’s beauty gurus, DIY-ers, gamers, and almost everything in between. Users can find almost anyone who uploads videos about exactly what they are interested in, and depending on what users decide to make their channel, they can strike it big with Youtube.

Youtube “stars” so to speak range from channel to channel. Arguably one of the first Youtubers to strike it big with this uploading site was the user Pewdiepie whose net worth now stands at an estimated $20 million. The owner of the channel who uploads videos of himself playing games has a little over $82 million subscribers.

Despite Pewdiepie’s success, on the rise is five-year-old Ryan who uploads videos of himself unboxing, playing with, and reviewing his toys. The five-year-old’s mom was a full time high school chemistry teacher, but once her son’s channel made it big, she quit her job to to commit to the Youtube channel full time. The five-year-old is bringing in $1 million in revenue every month from advertising alone. Ryan has made $22 million from June 1, 2017 to June 1, 2018 on his channel.

About the Writer
Courtney Costain, Staff Writer

Hello!! My name is Courtney Costain and I’m a Junior here at the high school. I joined staff this last year because I have a love for photography and...