The Experience Hosting a Foreign Exchange Student

After arriving from her flight from Italy, Giorgia Natale, 12, and Kastin Galloway, 10, finally meet in person ready to start their journey as a family while Natale is here.

Foreign exchange students come to our schools, and our country to learn our culture, better their skills, and learn how to adapt. While they’re doing this, the families that are hosting them have to learn how to change to accommodate their new member. Host families are often overlooked when talking about the process, and foreign exchange students in general. 

Talking about bringing a person into your lives, having little to no idea if it’ll actually work and be a successful relationship between your family and them is a big chance, and hosting is just as much of a big commitment. 

“Hosting an exchange student is a very big change in life. However, it’s amazing getting to know and have fun with a basically new family member,” Julianna Allenbrand, 10, said. 

While it’s a big commitment, it’s also living with someone from ‘another world’ meaning you can learn about their lifestyle and culture as well. One of the big reasons that families, and students like to host is so that the exchange students are given a chance to learn more, while in reality the hosting families learn more as well. 

“It gives us a chance to expand our family and learn more about other cultures. My favorite part about hosting is the holidays and just getting to spend time with your new family member and them meeting others,” Allenbrand said. 

Host families learn about the culture, and tend to learn more about their own surroundings when hosting a student. Host families often gain a new family member when hosting, and in doing so typically try to give new experiences and surroundings to the exchange student. 

“Living in Kansas tends to seem boring, but showing Giorgia how beautiful Kansas City actually is has been so much fun!” Kastin Galloway, 10, said. 

The bonds that are often created from hosting last a lifetime, just like the experiences.