The Cold Hits On And Off the Field

On Oct. 4, the student section cheering on the varsity football team against DeSoto. Despite the cold, there is a large turnout and the student section is full of pep. (Photo by A. Anderson)

The weather has been changing quite frequently lately stemming from 80º days to 20º days in the past month. The frequent weather change affects many students on the field.

“Yeah, I like the cold weather more than the hot because it’s better to play soccer when it’s cold around. I hate running in the heat. It is harder to keep going in the heat rather than the cold,” Daniel Keachele, 12, said.

As well as affecting people on the field, the students off the field, the student section’s size and energy is slightly affected.

“I don’t know, it’s really fun. And definitely when I played football freshman and sophomore year, and they would do the chants and kind of get us all hyped up and everything. And even if we’re losing, you know, give us a little bit of hope almost. And it’s really fun to do all the themes and everything. It’s kind of like a, it can be a second competition against the other students section on the opposing side, which is really fun. I don’t know. And then when the band does their stuff, and we do the dance, and that’s really, really fun,” Josh Dickie, 12, said. “The weather definitely affecting it [the student section] quite a bit because, we can’t do some of the themes like tourist you normally wear shorts and sandals or something. It’s kind of hard to do that when it’s really cold out.”

The student section is still strong but not as strong as it could be if the weather was warmer. The weather can dwindle the size of the student section, but for the kids who still come the energy is still high.