A Deeper Understanding of MAP Testing

MAP testing today, Jan. 16, during advisory

Students+work+on+their+Spanish+work+in+class.+These+students+will+take+the+MAP+test+today+%28Photo+by+LDuran%29.+

Students work on their Spanish work in class. These students will take the MAP test today (Photo by LDuran).

It comes multiple times a school year and many students dread it, MAP testing. MAP testing, according to Tim Shea, assistant principal, is “a series of short examinations that test the knowledge of certain areas to demonstrate student proficiency.” As exhausting as it is to many students, it has importance to all the teachers. 

“It gives us a snapshot of time, of kids understanding and performance level in key content areas. It allows us to take that information and adjust curriculum and adjust interventions for kids who struggle,” said Shea. 

However, some students disagree.

“No, I don’t think MAP testing is important, but on a school level yes, it does make sense,” said Kyra Schmuhl. 

Even though the high school has done MAP testing for 13 years, there are still some bugs to fix. When it comes to students attitude during MAP testing it affects the teachers as well. 

“I think [students] get discouraged and annoyed,” said Anna Mach, math teacher. 

The main issue students find when it comes to MAP testing is time. 

“I see it might be worth it like how well we are learning, but it’s not worth my time,” said Schmuhl, 11. 

However, the teachers know in advance when the testing is going to happen allowing them to plan in advance.  This is thanks to Shea.

“I look at my schedule to look when ACT, State testing, and district activities and pick dates when they fall in the window”. 

As much as MAP testing is “tiring” or “exhausting” it does help the school to adjust curiculum to make learning better for everyone.