Practice What You Preach

+%E2%80%9COne+way%E2%80%9D+signs+can+be+seen+everywhere+throughout+the+hallways+of+school%2C+making+hallways+less+crowded+and+easier+to+distance+%28photo+credit+O.+Leblanc%29.

“One way” signs can be seen everywhere throughout the hallways of school, making hallways less crowded and easier to distance (photo credit O. Leblanc).

Following the rules that mitigate the spread of COVID-19 is very important for everyone, teachers included. The rules were applied to the school in order to keep everyone safe while attending school. However, it’s a group effort, everyone must be willing to obey the rules in order to keep people safe and healthy.

The hallways are labeled with “one way” stickers located on the floor in order to keep distancing and direction organized. Some students feel inconvenienced with these signs and find them frustrating, causing them to walk further then usually necessary. If students are ignoring the signs and are noticed by the teachers they may be sent to the office or given a warning. On the other hand, there are a handful of teachers who don’t obey the hallway rules and find no consequences. Teachers walking in the hallways the wrong way just encourages students to disobey the rules, because it makes it seem like it doesn’t matter. In order to keep everyone distanced and organized in the halls everyone must follow the rules.

Students struggle to hear teachers and fellow classmates due to masks but understand their crucial role in preventing the spread of COVID-19. Keeping masks on properly can be a struggle for some, resulting in taking it off, or uncovering their nose. Teachers are to remind students to wear their mask properly or they could be sent to the office. But of course, teachers aren’t perfect at keeping masks on. Some teachers pull their masks down in class, while others take their mask off entirely. Students have reported some teachers teaching class without a mask on or interacting with students while not wearing their mask properly. Some may see this as not a huge deal while others find this very concerning to their safety and others. 

As cumbersome as these rules and precautions may be they do play an important part in keeping students and faculty safe while in school. Wearing masks and following new sets of rules is just a few things people must pay in order to be able to attend school and be safe. Taking these precautions will help in person school become more constant or permanent.