Students Commit to Academic Goals

Two students work together on an assignment (photo by F. Dent).

Students often create goals for the upcoming school year that don’t always end up working out for them in the long run. Several students end up setting goals for themselves and then do not carry through once they participate in a majority of clubs and extracurricular activities. Poor habits are started at the beginning of someone’s education and are commonly carried through until graduation. 

Lack of studying and procrastination can lead to having almost no motivation for subjects with grades lower than preferred. All of these add up to poor student performance in some academic areas. Many students under this regard end up not being able to break these habits.

With everything going on in students’ lives, school sometimes has been put on the back burner. 

“I’m trying not to procrastinate as much[and] trying to get my work turned in on time,” Duyen Phan, 11, said. 

Some kids are naturally studious, while others have to put in more time and energy if they want to succeed in school. Some kids have figured out a way to improve their productivity.

“I’m a morning person, and so I wake up at six in the morning, and I have alarms set for every five minutes, so I can get stuff done. I have ten minutes to wake up and then it’s time to go take the dog out,” Quorynn Harris, 9, said. 

She sets alarms for everything, and has found that this way of life is much more efficient for her. 

“I end up out the door by 7:35 every morning,” Harris said. 

“I’m a pretty structured person, but it helps out a lot to have that extra momentum in the morning to get me going.”