Worthless Weight on One’s Shoulder

Higher GPAs are captivating for colleges (graphic by M. Winkel).

The high school offers honors classes for students per the recommendation of their previous teacher. Honors classes at the high school typically move at a faster pace and require complex thinking. These classes challenge students and could be great preparation for if they take advanced classes junior year. While they have these benefits, unlike most schools, there is no reward for it. At some schools, an honor or AP class is weighted differently. If a student does well in the class, their GPA can go higher than a 4.0, something that captivates colleges. 

“I think that schools should offer weighted grades because what’s the point of taking an honors class if there is no reward?” Adelyn Bauer, 10, said. 

Along with not having a reward for taking challenging classes, many think that this would be a reason for students questioning whether or not to take them. 

“I think that weighted grades would help justify for students that are on the fence about taking honors classes… I think that weighted grades would help with students’ motivation as well,” Kerri Rodden, English teacher, said.

Right now, many people take regular classes because it is the easy way out and could positively impact their GPA. 

“I feel like with honors classes [don’t have a purpose] because it affects your grade more than just taking a regular class and there is no reward if you actually do good in that class,” Bauer said. 

Another downside of not having weighted grades is that many students have less grit to succeed in those classes. Instead, many have to rely on their own self gratification and academic validation, which is a very small group of the student body. 

“I’m really afraid of failing so I would do that in any class. It’s not the honors label that makes me more motivated,” Bauer said.

Many honors teachers also see this in their own students on a day to day basis. 

“I think it depends on the kid because I don’t think that honors are for everybody. I think that a lot of the honors students I have strive off of their own self gratification. You know your goals and you want to meet them. Most of them are self motivated and want to be successful and I see that,” Rodden said.

Why the high school decided not to implement weighted grades is unknown, but Rodden thinks they will start to implement them soon. Both teachers and students alike think that weighted grades will help motivate students to take more challenging classes and further their education.