News Brief 1/20-1/26

This week has been a busy week for the Broncos. Starting out the weekend the varsity wrestling team went to Hays to wrestle in the Bob Kuhn Classic. The boys wrestled their best, but only a few brought back medals. Noah Nemer came home with a third place medal and Nick Sprague with a sixth place medal. Friday night, JV wrestlers went to Holton to compete at the Holton JV Classic. Many wrestlers were able to improve their season record with wins throughout the night.

Saturday, the debate state tournament took place at Lyons High School, where Ty Straw and Nicholas Kaechele, 12, took third place. Jake Smith, 12, and Dakota Rockers, 11, were also able to take home a fourth place trophy.

Monday night, the freshmen boys’ and girls’ basketball teams played at home to start off the week with two wins, each in the fourth quarter. The freshmen girls defeated Bishop Miege 48-45. The boys finished with a win over Sumner Academy 49-43.

The varsity girls basketball team started their tournament at Wellsville Tuesday night with a win over Louisburg with a score of 59 to 57. The girls fought hard the whole game and came ahead by two points to win the game in the fourth quarter.

Wednesday, the boys basketball teams traveled to Baldwin to take on the Bulldogs. The freshmen boys fell short to the Bulldogs with a final score of 57-59. The JV played their hardest all game and ended up needing a few extra minutes to pull off a win. They ended up going into overtime but came out with a score of 51-44 over the Bulldogs. As for the varsity team, the boys had a tough competition against the Bulldogs but were able to pull off a win. The final score being 55-52 to end the night.

Thursday, a few band members traveled to the middle school for recruitment purposes. Thursday night the girls varsity basketball team headed to Wellsville to take on number one ranked Piper Academy who they won against. The Varsity Scholars bowl team headed to Paola to compete, while the high school held the annual Shakespeare Competition.

This weekend the boys basketball teams will take on the Louisburg Wildcats Friday night. All wrestlers will head to either Baldwin or Fort Scott to compete in tournaments.