Tiktok Stars in Spring Hill

Sophomores Brooke Powell, Hannah McCormick, Kilee Castro, and Riahn Pinkerton talk to Tiktoker Tessa Dawson, 10 during Bronco Hour. They enjoy their friends company with or without her fame (photo by MHood).

Tiktok is a sensation sweeping the nation. The app was previously known as Musical.ly. The original Musical.ly company was absorbed by an already existing company who changed the name of the app to their liking, tiktok. 

On the Tiktok app, users have the opportunity to post whatever they are thinking or doing.

According to Oberlo.com, Tiktok has over 500 million users worldwide and the rate of download is growing with every minute. Users have an extremely small chance of going viral or gaining fame from their videos with a Tiktok using population so huge.

However, many students in Spring Hill High School have massive followings as rare of a possibility it may be. 

“That’s the best part of it [having fans],” Tessa Dawson, 10, said. “Sometimes I just don’t have anything to do so Tiktok entertains me. They’re just fun to make with my friends, I’ve been making them for years.” 

Dawson has a following of over 1,000 fans and over 3,000 likes. 

“I started with one of my friends, we thought it would be funny to just make a joke,” Ben Carrel, 12, said. “I ended up just blowing up from there. It’s fun and interactive with foreign exchange students and we have fun making it with random strangers.” 

Carrel wasn’t the only one who started making Tiktoks with the intentions of a joke. 

“I made one as a joke and it got 48 thousand likes and I didn’t really think that was going to happen,” Kenna Ryals, 9, said. “It’s funny, sometimes people say things [about my account]. I was in first hour and people called me Tiktok famous.” 

Tiktok has brought fame to many students, but it has also brought other valuable elements to some students as well. 

“It’s opened me up a lot to be social with other people, when I went to Olathe I met some fans,” Carrel said.