A Satisfactory Rom-Com At Last

Bea+and+Ben+find+themselves+at+the+same+wedding+in+Sydney+Australia.+The+Sydney+Opera+House+is+the+setting+for+an+important+scene+for+Ben+and+Bea%E2%80%99s+relationship.+%28Photo+by%3A+Spragg%29.+
    Bea and Ben find themselves at the same wedding in Sydney Australia. The Sydney Opera House is the setting for an important scene for Ben and Bea’s relationship. (Photo by: Spragg).

The long awaited rom-com “Anyone But You” came to theaters Dec. 22. I went with my sister to go see it on Christmas Day, and my money was well spent. Sydney Sweeny and Glen Powell in a movie together? Count me in. 

Most of the movie is set in Sydney, Australia, so it provides a relaxing summer vibe and is loosely based off of Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing”. Bea (Sydney Sweeny) and Ben’s (Glen Powell) relationship turns bitter quickly even after a great first date. However, when invited to the same wedding in Australia, they decide to settle their differences and pretend to be a couple in order to keep the peace. 

My absolute favorite movies are rom-coms from the 2000s. Ever since then, the movie industry has been slow to put another great one out. “Anyone But You” quickly reached millions at the box office overnight, breaking the record for the holiday season. It received mixed reviews but is largely liked by the younger audience. The promotion for the film has been amazing, including some drama that has audiences questioning whether it’s a marketing scheme or not. The chemistry between Sweeny and Powell is undeniable on screen, but even so off screen. Despite both being in serious relationships, they seem a little too cozy together. 

The marketing has no doubt boosted the popularity of the movie, even if it is all drama. All in all, I think it was about time we got another romantic comedy that is worthy of the 2000s rom-com era.