Sports and School Stability

Student athletes are always told that academics come first and that they should prioritize school. However, some students are involved in school sports, club sports, and other activities on top of this. All of these combined can result in a never-ending balancing act.

There are many responsibilities being part of a team for the high school. Academics are important for sport eligibility and also setting the standard as a role model. Athletes also have to juggle spending time with family and friends while having their “head in the game” at all times.

“It’s very hard because my club practices are really late in the week. Usually I do my homework, or I have family time around 8 o’clock, however, that’s when practice starts so it definitely takes away some of the key things that make me who I am,” Aubrey Rodina, 11, said.

Other student athletes find the management much easier.

“You’re spending time with people at practice and it’s not hard to spend time with family,” Evan Brown, 10,  said.

Sports can provide an outlet for high schoolers and is a way for students to meet new people while also staying active. However, the endless cycle from school to practice and back to school can make an athlete less enthusiastic.

“It’s very time consuming and I tend to get into a routine and get lazy. I have to remember that I am a team player, not just an individual, so I do have to rely on my team to do those things,” Rodina said.

From middle school to high school, there can be a big leap in responsibility with academics and social life. Many students take on new responsibilities like getting a job; there is more to stay on top of. Sports can take up more of a commitment than middle school. 

“In middle school, I went to a private school and we only had practice once a week and it was only an hour long so this is way harder on my body. I feel like [basketball is] even harder on my body than cross country,” Aubrey Meder, 9,  said.

The constant activity can become draining. According to Parents-Together, 70 percent of athletes quit their sport by the time they reach high school because “it just isn’t fun anymore”.

“I just feel a lot more burnt than in middle school,” Meder added.

**To read a personal story about this issue, go here!

A Balancing Act