Student-Led Conferences: Review

Taylor+Thomson%2C+11%2C+works+on+their+student+led+conference+presentation.+Although+completed%2C+they+did+not+present+due+to+not+attending+%28Photo+by+B.+Pierson%29.+
Taylor Thomson, 11, works on their student led conference presentation. Although completed, they did not present due to not attending (Photo by B. Pierson).

Student-Led Conferences are held every year around Feb. and give insight to parents on what has happened throughout their student’s school year. The presentation is a slideshow and unlike the first round of conferences earlier in the year, the student is in charge of presenting and creating the slideshow. 

Although some parents deem this beneficial, it also can be valued as unbeneficial. The first two years of high school are not filled with many big decisions compared to the last two years. These conferences are valued when a high school career comes to an end because there are some heavy topics to consider about a student’s future and it is important to talk with parents about what the plan is. Students also get to share what they want to accomplish which also can tie into their futures. 

The first two years can be compared very similarly in how the presentation looks. The only things that may change is a student’s grades, maybe a few accomplishments, and possibly their career. Although these things are important, they can change considering it is so early in a student’s high school career. It is also a presentation that parents do not have to go to but students are still required to make them even if they know their parents will not be attending. It is something that can eventually float to the back of minds and can be put aside as unimportant until the grade for advisory drops due to it not being completed.

These conferences are beneficial but usually towards the last two years of high school. They can be helpful for some families if a student is struggling and allows teachers and parents to meet and take action. It also allows students to present their accomplishments in a different way and shows something they can be proud of. Although this is all true, students who do not partake in these circumstances may not see the benefit and this can just cause more of a hassle and workload that students already have.