A New Age of Shocking Cinema

In Greek mythology, the Minotaur is a monster with the head of a bull and the body of a man. The Minotaur and the myth is meant to symbolize the selfishness and arrogant nature of man. This myth is very heavily symbolized in the character of Oliver Quick, the protagonist of “Saltburn.”

While the film absolutely has some disturbing and shocking scenes, its use of symbolism, and the fact that it’s open to many interpretations, is something unique in cinema nowadays. 

Among themes of grief and limerence, for one, it can be seen as a critique of unchecked ambition, something very prevalent on social media platforms in the modern age. It could also be interpreted as a showcase of how destructive desire and obsession can be.

Along with amazing costume and sound design, the film itself is also just visually stunning, and I think the unique aspect ratio it’s filmed in is a unique way to add to the unsettling vibe of the movie.I think this movie has also finally brought to light a previously niche genre of “shocking” movies, such as “Midsommar” or “Requiem for a Dream” (my personal favorites of that genre). I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we start to see an uptick in movies with more “shocking” or “unique” premises. In fact, I think this might already be happening with new movies like A24’s “The Zone of Interest.” My hope is that “Saltburn” ushers in a new age of creative, captivating, and unique cinema.