Take a Paws and Stay Paw-sitave

Jadyn+Gholstons%2C10+cat+Safari%2C+Poses+for+a+photo+with+his+sweater.+Safari+is+7+years+old+and+a+loving%2C+sweet+cat+%28Photo+by+J+Gholston%29.+
Jadyn Gholstons,10 cat Safari, Poses for a photo with his sweater. Safari is 7 years old and a loving, sweet cat (Photo by J Gholston).

Cats can be loving companions; they can be silly, fun, and psychologically helpful. Cats have positive effects on mental health and are the perfect friend!

“I have three cats; Safari, Asher and Oliver. I spend a lot of time with Safari, because he’s my cat. I definitely think cats can help with mental health and I think they are the best animals. I spend a lot of time [with] safari. He’s like my best friend,” Jayden Gholston, 10, said. 

Often, people see cats in nursing homes and hospitals to help people under stress. Sitting with a cat and spending time with them can lead to long term mental health benefits. 

​​According to Catster, Nursing homes can also have pet therapy programs that schedule time for cats to visit the members of the nursing home. Those who spend time with the cats mention the  benefits that cats can bring to people’s

Rylee Jones,10, cat Maple, sits on top of her homework in the evening. Maple is almost a year old and is silly and loving (Photo by R. Jones).

lives. Cats can help lower stress and boost someone’s mental health.

“ I love cats, my favorite thing about them is that they are weird, ” Joshua Spewiaki,11, said. ” I spend a lot of time with my cat. I brought him to the gym with me. He’s like my spotter, he helps me do good on my lifts. I love my cat.” 

Cats are overall helpful, cuddly companions. They are sweet loving creatures to spend time with. There are many shelters that have cats; visit the Cat’s Pawjamas, a rescue society near Spring Hill and get a new furry friend.