Kevin Moutry: Stopping Stereotype

Moutry cheers for the Broncos at the football game against Paola on Oct. 24. This game was won by the Broncos (Photo by J. Jones)

In previous years, the cheer team has been a primarily female dominated sport. Kevin Moutry, 10, tossed out that stereotype. 

It does come with challenges. A lot of bullying [and many] people disapprove because it’s a female dominated sport and men can’t do it. I cheered for two years when I was really little. [Freshman year tryouts] were so intimidating going in and seeing all the high schoolers,  especially since I hadn’t had that much experience,” Moutry said.

Aside from the negatives, there are some positives that come with being the only boy on the team; they all share the same memories. They all get to experience the same experiences and get to have fun cheering together.

“I like it because I get centerpieces during performances. My favorite part of cheer is either competition or Friday Night Lights. I enjoy [Friday Night Lights] because our student section is usually pretty fun, especially when we’re winning and the energy is just

Moutry posed for the photo on media day. This is now their second year cheering (Photo by A. Doty)

awesome. This season I’m most excited for camp.”

They were embraced with open arms and were made to feel like they had a place on the team. Now there are no seniors,  Moutry is an upperclassman this upcoming season. They will be a junior and the role model for the incoming cheerleaders. 

“I think it is going to be more challenging because we are the upperclassmen this year. We are going to have more responsibilities. There are a lot of freshmen that are going to look up to you as an upperclassman. It is going to be different because last year we had so much to prepare for, like senior night and all their gifts. They were the ones we looked up to because they knew everything and now we have to know everything.”