A-dress-ing the Change

Daniel Heinen, 10, walking in the hallways wearing their hat. They are taking advantage of the new changes in the dress code policy. (Photo by M. Chaulk)

This year, the high school changed several rules and regulations in the handbook regarding the student body. However, some were more prominent in the eyes of students than others, especially the dress code portion. Students are now permitted to wear articles of clothing that were restricted in previous years; such as hats, beanies, hoods, and spaghetti straps. 

Although several other rules have been lifted, the ability to wear hats in the building has been the most appreciated. 

“I feel like it’s a necessary and good change,” said Jace Nelson, 10. “There is no possible reason for hats to not be allowed. Even if there is a distracting hat, that is completely different I feel.”

The argument that hats were inherently distracting proved to be controversial after multiple students agreed that the wearing of hats, or other accessories, did not play a role in the disruptions in class or decrease in the academic performance of students. 

“I don’t think they cause a distraction. Nothing has proved it since they allowed them,” said Milo Flissinger, 10.  “They were honestly more of a distraction when they didn’t allow them because students would bring them anyway and be told to remove them multiple times which could distract others.”

While the rule was lifted, teachers are still enforcing some similar classroom regulations regarding the dress code; such as not allowing students to wear hats during important assignments. 

“My math teacher does not let us wear hats during tests, which I completely understand.” said Trystan Wood, 10. “If you have a brimmed hat, it is [not]

Trystan Wood, 10, is very excited about the new policy change. He wears his beanie to school very frequently now.

very difficult to cheat on tests or anything like that. You would notice someone looking at their brim for answers.”

According to students, the policy change allowed for the welcome of individuality and a sense of comfort to the student body. It created a more relaxed and inclusive atmosphere and decreased the repeated confrontations over students’ accessories. 

“I just feel more confident with myself and more comfortable walking around the building,” said Nelson.

Overall, the small change in the dress code policy has allowed for a much larger sense of conformity and self-expression among students.