From the Outside Looking In

Sam Harris, 9, swings and misses while at bat against a Tongie pitcher on Mar. 28. (Photo By M. Brown)

Throughout the year, students who attend the online insight program are given the opportunity to participate in activities through the school. 

Sam Harris, 9, a baseball player at the school, is an exception among the few outside students who take advantage of this opportunity. 

Unlike the other students who participate in activities through the school while attending the online insight program, Harris attends a small program outside of the district called Southland.  Since Harris attends an outside program they got the choice of where they wanted to play high school baseball. 

“I chose to play at Spring Hill because it was the most competitive option for me. Some other small programs wanted to recruit me, but I turned down their offers and joined Spring Hill,” Harris said. 

Along with the high school being one of the best options competition-wise Harris also had connections with some of the players at the school. 

“I’ve been playing club ball since I was eight years old, and I actually knew a couple of kids from Spring Hill since I had played with them before,” Harris said. 

One might think it would be difficult for an outside student to fit in, having previous connections has made it easy for Harris to fit in.

“I love the team and the coaches. They make it so much fun while also making practices hard so we can get better… I’ve pretty much made friends with entire team now” 

Although there have been few outside students participating in activities, there are quite a few in the baseball program. Along with Harris, there are two other members of the team who attend an outside program, Cavin Meade, 12, and Maxton Meade, 10. Harris explained that although being in the same situation doesn’t change how the team has bonded together, it is good to know that there are other people in the same situation as them.