First vs. Last Impression

The+senior+class+gets+together+to+share+their+final+pep+assembly.+Events+like+this+tend+to+be+very+sentimental+to+seniors+%28Photo+by+M.+Brown%29.+
The senior class gets together to share their final pep assembly. Events like this tend to be very sentimental to seniors (Photo by M. Brown).

The 2023-24 school year is coming to an end. With every year comes the end of a chapter. Current freshmen are finishing their first year of high school and seniors are finishing their last year of high school. 

“[High school] is a lot more fun compared to middle school. It has a lot more classes and you get to do a lot more things which is really fun and exciting,” Jori Williams, 9, said. 

High school has multiple aspects; however, one main part is the various classes that are available to students. This can help teenagers search for their passion and interests. 

“It is a time you get to learn and explore different things on what you really want to do,” Williams said.

High school can be a different environment, especially since it was a new building for freshmen. Learning the way around the school is something most

Freshman Colton Hart plays their first year of high school baseball. High school can be a time of exploration for passions and interests (Photo by M. Brown).

freshmen can relate to. 

“For the first semester, I was lost all the time because the middle hallways confuse me so much, and it surprised me that nobody used lockers,” Addison Holmes, 9, said. 

The step from middle to high school can be challenging, but after spending four years in high school, senior Max Pacheco, 12, has advice for students. 

“Manage your time well, don’t procrastinate on things you should get done because in the end it’s going to make things harder for yourself,” Pacheco said. “Be okay with change. High school is a rapidly changing environment. A lot is going to happen, good and bad. Maintain the ability to adapt and you will be just fine.”

As seniors reflect on their high school years, a feeling of sentiment is common as memories are brought up.  

“One of my favorite memories is leading the pep assemblies and all of the football games,” Samantha Winebrenner, 12, said. 

Seniors are closing their final year as high schoolers. Through the highs and the lows, remembering to stay true to yourself is important. High school involves a lot of character building and allows individuals to find who they are.   

“I wouldn’t change anything that happened because that makes me who I am today,” Winebrenner said.