Mail Bombs Backfire

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Uncredited/AP/REX/Shutterstock (9945668a)
In this undated photo released by the Broward County Sheriff's office, Cesar Sayoc is seen in a booking photo, in Miami. Federal authorities took Sayoc, 56, of Aventura, Fla., into custody in Florida in connection with the mail-bomb scare that earlier widened to 12 suspicious packages, the FBI and Justice Department said
Explosive Devices, Miami, USA - 26 Oct 2018

Uncredited/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Uncredited/AP/REX/Shutterstock (9945668a) In this undated photo released by the Broward County Sheriff's office, Cesar Sayoc is seen in a booking photo, in Miami. Federal authorities took Sayoc, 56, of Aventura, Fla., into custody in Florida in connection with the mail-bomb scare that earlier widened to 12 suspicious packages, the FBI and Justice Department said Explosive Devices, Miami, USA - 26 Oct 2018

Hannah Smith

Mail. One of the most mundane things in society. It’s what grandmas use to send birthday cards and it’s how colleges send hose annoying invites. Mail is something society can count on, something that is so reliable one would hardly look at it until it threatens to blow up.

Monday, Oct. 22 the first of 13 failed mail bombs was discovered sent to George Soros, philanthropist, others would be sent to former President Obama and members of his administration, as well as actor Robert Di Nero among others.

Di Nero used the incident to help convince people to vote saying:

“I thank God no one’s been hurt and I thank the brave and resourceful security and law enforcement people for protecting us. There something more powerful than bombs, and that you vote. People must vote!”

President Trump would be seen spreading the same message toning back his usually loud messages at some of his campaign rallies in an attempt to unify the country. He tweeted Friday morning saying

“Republicans are doing so well in early voting, and at the polls, and now this “Bomb” stuff happens and the momentum greatly slows – news not talking politics. Very unfortunate, what is going on. Republican, go out and vote!”

By Friday afternoon the justice department charged a Florida man, Cesar Sayoc, 56, with five federal charges for the mailing of the pipe bombs.

Sayoc was a pizza delivery man who was outspoken on social media about his contempt for Democrats and his support for President Trump. They identified him off of a fingerprint and compared the misspelled words in the packages to the ones on Sayoc’s social media accounts.

After the arrest President Trump would release a statement saying:

“These terrorizing acts are despicable and have no place in our country. We must never allow political violence to take root in America. We cannot let it happen.”

About the Writer
Hannah Smith, Staff Writer

Hi readers. I'm Hannah Smith. I'm Staff Writer meaning you can see my writing in all of SPUB's publications. I joined SPUB because I love writing and I...