Overland Park Student Killed by Reckless Driver

The scene after the incident on April 12, 2019. Police responded after a driver struck and killed a overland park student by a reckless driver (Photo KSHB).

On April 12, 2019, in Overland Park Alex Rumple, an Oxford Middle School student, was hit by a reckless driver when she was walking home from school on the sidewalk. The driver, who was later identified as Sudhir S. Gandhi, had continued along the road without stopping and hit a traffic light, a speed limit sign and plowed through 80 feet of wooden fence before coming to a stop. The police responded to the incident, both Gandhi and Rumple were taken to the hospital immediately – Rumple had suffered traumatic injuries and died at the hospital. Gandhi has been charged with reckless second degree murder, and his bail was set at $50,000 by Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe. His first court appearance was Thursday, Jan. 16 at 1:30 p.m.

Gandhi was a substitute for USD 230, and is now being put on trial for the murder of Rumple. He claimed that his breaks on his car went out, and the car was put into mechanical analysis through the police department to identify if that was the reason for the reckless driving.