You’ve got a PAL in me

The 2021-2022 group of PALs poses for a picture before returning home from their retreat (photo submitted by L. Haney).

The school has numerous programs for students to better their leadership skills, make new friends, and develop communication skills. One program that teaches students these skills is PALs.

“PALs is our peer helping program. It stands for Peer Assistance in Leadership. We train awesome kids to be peer helpers,” Katie George, PALs sponsor, said.

In previous years, a survey was sent out to students and they would write the names of two students they trust with their problems. The students would be looked over by staff. If selected, the student would become a PAL.

“We look at that list and we pick kids from the list that we know are trustworthy, have a good academic record, [who] we know we can trust for two and a half nights, and that we know will be okay if they miss two days of school,” George said.

Once the students are selected, they go on a retreat to learn techniques to help their peers in their times of need.

“They learn proper listening and reflecting skills, how to help their peers with everyday problems, and how to help their peers recognize when they have big problems and that they need to go to a trained adult,” George said..

Along with learning how to help their peers, they learn how to make sure they are taking care of themselves.

“As well as helping others, I learned how to balance self care at the same time to make sure I’m better equipped to help others and myself,” Alexis Beckman, 12, said.

Upperclassmen who were selected into PALs previously lead the retreat each year.

“This year, we have had quite a collection of seniors who have expressed interest. So we are kind of in the process of figuring out which ones of those would be the best dynamic, try to have a mix of boys and girls, and get teaching input on ones that they have good recommendations for,” George said.

When the retreat is over, students will return to school having made new friendships and being better equipped to assist their peers.

“Yes [I enjoyed my time on the retreat],” Beckman said. “I really got to know the people that went with me and it was a blast.”