Kickin it to South Korea

Nathan+Montgomery%2C+11%2C+and+Jane+Montgomery%2C+mother%2C+stand+on+a+boat+overlooking+South+Korea.+This+is+one+of+many+activities+Montogmery+participated+in+while+on+their+South+Korea+trip+%28Photo+by+N.+Montgomery%29.+
Nathan Montgomery, 11, and Jane Montgomery, mother, stand on a boat overlooking South Korea. This is one of many activities Montogmery participated in while on their South Korea trip (Photo by N. Montgomery).

A need to fill time turned into an explorative South Korean trip. This past summer Nathan Montgomery, Taekwondo student leader, 11, jumped on the opportunity to travel and learn more about the craft. 

“[I went to] this program to go to South Korea and learn more about Taekwondo and its origins… We learned a lot about taekwondo and went to this place called Taekwondowon, which is a resort centered around Taekwondo. I learned even more about [taekwondo], saw demonstrations, and the people at the resort taught us new techniques,” Montgomery said. 

The trip opened Montgomery’s eyes to the widespread and diverse culture of

Nathan Montgomery, 11, poses with dojo members in front of a temple in South Korea. They are dressed in traditional South Korean clothing (Photo provided by N. Montgomery).

Taekwondo. Not only did they get the chance to gain experience, but they also dove into the origins of Taekwondo. 

“It was all so fun…my favorite part about going to South Korea was learning about taekwondo because it is a way bigger thing, especially in South Korea, but also around the world, than I realized. To feel like I’m a part of something a lot bigger than me was super cool,” said Montgomery.

Montgomery has practiced Taekwondo for three years, and in that time they went from the lowest belt to a first degree black belt. Montgomery started the sport because they had nothing else to do but stayed because of the experiences gained. 

“I love Taekwondo for two main reasons. One, it’s very peaceful for me to learn different forms and spend time perfecting them and making them look good,” Montgomery said. “The second part is the people I’m around, they’re all very fun and kind; I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone else.”