Inspired Interests

Cake decorating is one of Ingle’s many hobbies. Magical, fairy-like decorations are a common theme for Ingle’s cakes. (Photo provided by M. Ingle)

Many different interests and hobbies give students a way to pursue an activity they enjoy. These hobbies often have long term and short term goals. An artist has distinct pieces they work on to finish; however, they can also have the drive to create art for years on end. 

“I think it gives me something to make out of life. Like if I’m having a rough day or lazy day, I can still crochet and then have something to be proud of at the end. When really I just sat there and did nothing. It makes me feel a lot more accomplished than I feel like I actually am,” Mackenzie Ingle, 11, said.

Whether a hobby is a passion or a lighthearted activity is up to the individual.

Ingle enjoys coordinating and planning their outfits. They also use earrings and other accessories to match their theme of the day. (Photo provided by M. Ingle)

“I love crocheting people gifts because it really means something to me. It takes hours [to make] and it’s expensive. I also love to receive hand-made gifts. They mean a lot to me. So I know that if I give someone a hand-made gift; it’s one of a kind,” Ingle said.

In addition, these activities can connect people together.

“My grandmother used to do cake decorating and she passed away. So I kind of go into it. Now my mom, who is her daughter, is like, ‘oh, she would be so proud of you.’ It makes me feel connected to the family.”

If desired, hobbies can be turned into careers or even a future business.

“I am currently working at a catering company and I love to bake. Sometimes we do [bake] wedding cakes. So I get to decorate cakes. We’re actually doing a wedding on Saturday; I’m really excited. I’m thinking about being a baker and opening up a bakery,” Ingle said. “Then, everyone’s telling me that I should sell my crochet [pieces], but I don’t want to because when you receive something from me that’s crocheted, it makes it even more special. Because you can’t buy this, you can’t replicate this.”