Dazzling at State

The+Dazzlers+have+a+pep+talk+before+going+to+perform.+This+was+before+performing+their+style+routine+%28Photo+by+B.+Vandertuig%29.+
The Dazzlers have a pep talk before going to perform. This was before performing their style routine (Photo by B. Vandertuig).

The Spring Hill Dazzler Dance Team went to state. The dance team got eighth place out of fifteen other 5A dance teams. The team overall did very well and have improved as a whole. 

“I think the team has improved so much, even just from the beginning of the year. We have become closer and that has helped us be stronger in our routines,” Katelyn Hurst, 12, said. 

State competitions bring teams from all over the state to show the best of what they can do.  Mental and physical challenges can sometimes come with competitions. 

“I think for the team, it was both hard mentally and physically. We were struggling with our stamina as well as overcoming that mental block of going

Dazzlers pose in front of the KSHSAA background at State. The girls were just coming off of performing their last dance of the day (Photo provided by M. Pharathikoune).

into state being the underdogs,” Maya Pharathikoune, 11, said. 

This year the Dazzler team has gained three freshman team members. It was their very first State competition being on the team. Unsure of the turnout, they still put their best foot forward and did tremendously well at State. 

“I didn’t really know what to expect, but I was excited going into it but also scared of messing up or letting the team down,” Skyler Kilby, 9, said.

The Dazzlers have improved since last year and are still looking to improve even more. They have Nationals coming up in 2024, where they hope to do just as good.

“I think the team did very well. Our scores have improved since last year. I have to give it to the newcomers as they rose to the challenge and did so well at their first State. I always think there is room for improvement though,” Pharathikoune said.