Back to the Beakers

Torrez explained to their students the new science assignment. Students are focused and ready to learn (Photo by Ella Crabtree).

Integrated science, through this school year, has looked different. For the first semester students were learning the subject material in person, but with a virtual teacher. Different hours had different teachers which made it hard for students to communicate on assignments. Malissa Torrez, former teacher, heard about the online learning science class and decided it was time to come back to teaching. 

“I heard that there was a class that was learning online and that really bothered me. I feel like at that point I kinda figured out that the teacher in me

Torrez is back teaching integrated science. Torrez is excited to be back (Photo by Ella Crabtree).

never left. As I started a new career I found that I was always putting my teacher brain on it,” Torrez said. 

Torrez left teaching two years ago after the 2020 school year. Torrez worked as a project manager helping companies get pharmaceuticals on the market. Coming back to teaching after taking a break can be a bigger challenge than some think. 

“The challenge right now is just getting back in the groove of teaching and scheduling my time. Thinking about what level I need to be at for high schoolers and I’m just out of teaching shape.” 

Torrez said they always thought about if teaching was their calling, but it got to a point where they knew they needed a break. 

“I always wondered if teaching was what I was meant to do. I taught a couple different times, stayed home with my kids during one break then came back and I just kinda got a little burnt out,” Torrez said. 

Torrez took their needed break and came back to SHHS and so far they have loved their decision. 

“It’s fun to be back interacting with people, it’s been really fun to see my middle school students as high schoolers.”

Coming back to teaching has come with its challenges, but Torrez is determined to help the integrated science students learn.