‘Under Pressure’

Loren Reed

As 2018 comes to a start, one of the largest winter storms in history has hit the east coast with a sheet of snow. A large, rapidly intensifying winter storm that began on Wednesday dumped over a foot of snow in New England, but also brought with it damaging winds, and dangerous, icy, coastal flooding. Even Florida was experiencing weirdly cold weather, with a freeze watch or warning in place for much of the state (leading to weird things like near-frozen iguanas dropping from trees). At least 22 deaths have been attributed to the storm, and to a blast of Arctic air that stretched from Maine to Texas. Summit conditions at Mount Washington were so brutally cold that the temperature tied for the second coldest on Earth, according to Mount Washington Observatory, nearing a wind chill of minus 100 degrees fahrenheit. It’s possible that the storm will have an unusually big bombogenesis, a cyclone that rapidly intensifies, but we’re not talking about a never-before-seen drop in pressure. The storm could produce hurricane-force winds, but it is not a hurricane, and winter storms build up hurricane-force winds pretty frequently. The storm is known as a bomb cyclone, which means that the atmospheric pressure withstands large drops, pulling in warm air from the Atlantic, and cold air from the coast. The storm has been named Grayson. This was thought to be one of the biggest storms of the century, but it is like any other winter storm, just a tad more dangerous. It’s best to stay prepared for more storms to come, even in the midwest.