A Racquet About Absences

Top six JV tennis players, Kaylyn Gilliland, 11, Blaire Sommer, 12, Avery Feeback, 12, Ella Crabtree, 10, Alana Smith, 10, and Katelin Falen, 12 travel to Mill Valley to compete. They play all day to finish as a team in third place (Photo provided by E. Crabtree).

The tennis season for girls starts right as school is starting in August. We jump right into school along with tennis. This year I have missed many full school days due to tennis tournaments. I tend to get stressed out when I miss school so I knew I had to do something to stay on top of everything. To keep my grades up, I had to make sure to get everything done. That meant I had to get my school work early, stay up late getting it done, or ask for an extension. 

Most of my teachers are flexible and understanding of needing more time. Although, other teachers will want it done at the same time as everyone else. When I miss a full day of school, I make sure to ask all my teachers what I will be missing. If that’s a test, I know to make it up, if it’s more homework, I stay up late to get it done. During the season this year, there was a week where I missed four days. Three of those days only being two hours, one of the days I missed a whole day. I did what I usually do and got it all done as stressful as it was. Getting my schoolwork done is important because without having good grades I wouldn’t be able to be an athlete. Being an athlete is part of who I am, without that I wouldn’t be myself.