The Five Nights at Freddy’s Movie: a Review

People watching the Five Nights at Freddy Movie. A mix of hardcore fans and newcomers enjoyed the movie.

The FNAF movie was monumental. It’s adaptation felt both accurate to the games, but also felt like it presented a new angle to the story

The Five Nights at Freddy’s series began as a tiny indie game made in 2014 by a struggling game developer. Its movie adaptation has been anticipated for over five years, and its box office numbers showcase that

From the inception of FNAF, social media influencers, specifically youtubers, played a major role in its popularity. These youtubers were given credit, having minor roles in the movie, such as CoryxKenshin getting a role as a taxi driver. 

The movie was obviously not accurate to the original story, which made diehard fans unhappy. However, I don’t feel like the new story they presented was bad, or for no reason. The reason for why they didn’t adhere to the story is for it being more friendly to get into. It being less complicated allows more people to understand and enjoy the movie, as well as feeling like they got their money’s worth.

Another detail of the movie that shocked diehard fans was the rating. Details have been revealed that the movie was originally rated R, but was changed to PG-13 so more people and specifically kids could go and see the movie. This is upsetting to me because Five Nights at Freddy’s is and has always been a horror game, specifically with dark themes of murder and such. Its change to PG-13 makes it more of a supernatural horror and while the game has supernatural elements, it ends up making it less scary and makes it more of a thriller rather than a horror movie.