Unexpected Musical Gift

Bechard+singing+at+Jamie+Oshel%E2%80%99s%2C+gym+teacher%2C+wedding.+They+sang+an+Ed+Sheeran+song+for+both+songs+%28Photo+submitted+by+C.+Bechard%29.+
Bechard singing at Jamie Oshel’s, gym teacher, wedding. They sang an Ed Sheeran song for both songs (Photo submitted by C. Bechard).

Connor Bechard, gym teacher, has been discovered amongst their students as something of a musical prodigy. They have been singing since fifth grade. They started singing in the back of their parents’ car and they were stunned. 

“My dad kind of forced me when I was in high school to get into choir. I thought at the time it was pretty stereotypical, I’m an athlete. When I went to college, I ended up getting a scholarship for basketball and then one also for choir,” Bechard said. 

When they were younger, they enjoyed singing in a group sense. 

“I put my own music on SoundCloud back in college,” Bechard said. 

Bechard considered pursuing a career in music when they were in college. They never received official music training; they don’t know how to read music. Yet, they’re a very skilled singer-songwriter. 

“I think it’s fun to make music. Writing your own music is great, but I think it’s just as fun to cover songs in your own way.” 

Their personal favorite genres to sing cross between singer/songwriter, RnB, and soul. They love country music, but they don’t have the voice that is typically required to cover most country songs. 

“I sang [Oshel’s] walkout song for her wedding. Then I also sang her first dance song, which was “Thinking Out Loud,” by Ed Sheeran. We have been best friends since we were little kids, so she asked me if I wanted to sing at her wedding.” 

Bechard also used to sing in a classic rock cover band, from when they were a senior in high school until their first two years in college.