Paving a new route

Brynna+Pierson%2C+11%2C+guides+Daniel+Heinen%2C+10%2C+through+a+spread+design+and+makes+suggestions+about+what+could+be+changed+%28Photo+by+S.+Hatcher%29.+
Brynna Pierson, 11, guides Daniel Heinen, 10, through a spread design and makes suggestions about what could be changed (Photo by S. Hatcher).

In the past, yearbooks have been distributed to students with a cohesive design and theme. However, this year the path to a cohesive presentation is different thanks to a larger staff and no designated editor in chief. An editor in chief is someone who manages decisions and has a final say. 

Brynna Pierson, senior ads manager and graphics manager, 11, explains how there is a better flow between stories for the online website and yearbook.

“We are truly able to take our time on things, the stories we are producing are actually really good right now. Not to mention, we have more of a variety of people who are involved in different things. So, I feel like no matter what, someone has a passion for a certain piece of content,” said Pierson.

Stories for online and yearbook ideas are pitched with a certain deadline. Most stories will be given one to two weeks to be written. Online stories have been getting tons of traction according to Pierson. However, writing can become tough and difficult. Stress can play a part within being in Student Publications.

“Last year we were heavily loaded with the amount of content that we had to produce, and I think that it stresses us out even more. Throughout the year, our content became not as great toward the end of the year because of the deadlines and getting it in on time,” said Pierson.

This year, being able to have a larger presence with SPUB, it’s given everyone the opportunity to feel included and share their minds. Though having a bigger group of people, this can come with some downfalls. 

“We just don’t have that communication for the yearbook though. Even though it’s kind of late in the game, I still think having someone who’s in charge could be helpful,” said Pierson.

SPUB is a good way to get more involved within the school and be able to show the behind the scenes of the high school. Check out stampedenews.net for more details and to see what SPUB really does. Content is produced almost every day.