Filed under Sports

Off To A Great Start

During+the+first+tennis+match+of+the+season%2C+KayLee+Mitchell%2C+12%2C+sets+up+for+a+serve.+The+Lady+Broncos+defeated+Lansing+in+both+varsity+and+Jr.+Varsity+matches.+%28photo+by+J.+Barnett%29+++
During the first tennis match of the season, KayLee Mitchell, 12, sets up for a serve. The Lady Broncos defeated Lansing in both varsity and Jr. Varsity matches. (photo by J. Barnett)

On Thursday, Aug. 24, the Lady Bronco tennis team took to the courts and played some exceptional matches of tennis. For some ladies on the JV team, this was their very first tennis match to ever play but that didn’t stop them as they crushed the Lansing Lions 11-1. For the varsity ladies, Lansing went home defeated by the Broncos with a final score of 6-3. Even for the more experienced senior girls on varsity, the first match can be nerve-wracking.

“My doubles match was the first match overall of the season and I feel like [Elizabeth Sloan, 12, and I] could’ve done better but it got our nerves out,” said Allison Smith, 12.

Smith went on to crush her singles match later in the day.

“[In] my singles match I didn’t have much of a competition and I trusted my shot more,” she explained. In tennis, trusting your shot boils down to trusting that you will hit the ball and it will land in-bounds. By trusting your shot, Smith says you are able to get more power out of it.

The Lady Broncos tennis team played a great first match of tennis and are competing in a tournament in Independence, Kan, Saturday, Aug 26. Good luck ladies!