100 Word Rant: New Year’s Resolutions

Loren Reed

I don’t personally make firm new years resolutions because I know I won’t keep them. I do use the time we get during break to “recharge” and try to set new and better habits for the coming year but I wouldn’t call them resolutions. I want to make better choices but making a goal that I won’t ever achieve be my priority will only make me feel worse in the long run when I don’t achieve said goal. I think people should take the time to evaluate their past year and try to make healthier choices physically, mentally and emotionally for a better year. However people shouldn’t set themselves up for failure by making an unrealistic resolution about their future. -Katherine Schoenberg, 11

Resolutions that come with the new year are a very good idea. They can help a person to be a better version of themselves. Sometimes they can be minor accomplishments, like what I set for myself this year. I have two resolutions: to learn to braid my hair and to learn how to do a cartwheel. Although they are small and may seem somewhat insignificant, they are my new year’s resolutions nonetheless. New year’s resolutions also can be major accomplishments, setting goals such as going to the gym or losing weight, but they all serve the same purpose; to better oneself at the turn of new beginnings. -Elizabeth Hayes, 12

A New Year’s resolution is a chance to start fresh, make changes that didn’t get made the year before, and set new goals to accomplish. Many students set resolutions in hopes to do something different, but many opt not to. Whether a student decides to or not, the new year is full of opportunities and chances, and goals aren’t always needed to achieve bigger goals, but they can also be a way to structuralize the path for success. Some resolutions include going to the gym more, giving up coca-cola, being kinder to people, or saving more for college. I honestly feel that it’s up to the individual themselves to set a resolution or not. I personally don’t, because I don’t want to set myself up for failure if I don’t achieve my goal or change, but also don’t have problem setting one just because it’s something to work towardLoren Reed, 11