Perfected Planning

Elizabeth Suter, 11, and Jaleigh White, 11, packaging food at their planned volunteer trip. Thelma’s Kitchen. There, members of Volunteer packaged and made food for the less fortunate (Photo by C. Holmes).

Although volunteer projects are available to all students at Spring Hill, there are a special few students who are accepted into the class.

“It’s a lot different because you don’t have regular assignments, and we’re only in class on Tuesdays and Wednesdays,” Jaleigh White, 11, said.

The planning of volunteer projects is a lengthy and complex process, one which the students in the volunteer class go through, including White.

“You have to work with your group and we don’t pick our groups so you have to meet new people. You only get two days a week to work on your project because those are the only days we’re in there. So like we have to work the whole time or we’re not going to get it done,” said White.

Photo of White, member of Volunteer. Being one of many people in Volunteer, themself and their classmates work towards improving the lives of others. (D. Heinen).

White’s project, Thelma’s Kitchen, the first project of the year, required students to travel there and package and make food for people who don’t have the ability to do it themselves.

Planning and going to volunteer projects is something they enjoy.

“Making people happy and helping people out for my volunteer project [are the best parts of it]-it was really nice to be around those types of people and just help them,” said White.

And although attending volunteer projects is a commitment, obligations stay at a lower level for students.

“It wasn’t really something that we had to do outside of school, which was kind of nice, but like, I had to work on a brochure outside of school, but it didn’t take me that long. It was just because I didn’t have that much time to work on it in class because I was working on the poster and helping my classmates,” said White.