Broaden the AP Horizons

Students sitting and learning in AP Lang. AP Lang helps prepare students for actual English college classes (Photo by H. Evans).

This year at the high school, they have expanded their course offerings by introducing two new AP classes: AP Government and AP European History. 

Unlike many surrounding high schools, Spring Hill does not weigh AP or Honors classes. By taking these high advanced classes, students that receive a grade like a B, stays a B instead of it technically being an A. 

“I’m always looking for a challenge in terms of AP classes. I like to do as many as I can with either english or history,” Max Pachecco, 12, said. 

AP Government focuses on constitutionalism, liberty and order, civic participation in a representative democracy, competing policy-making interests, and methods of political analysis.

Spring Hill is taking a different approach to AP Government as teachers can choose for it to be a semester or a year long class. Mrs Callwell who will teach the AP class says that the decision to make it a semester long class is so that students would not drop the course since one semester of government is

Caleb Brewer,12, sits at their computer with College Board on their screen. Brewer has AP Government next semester (A.Watson).

required. However, this decision might evolve as the class becomes more established. 

AP European History students will study the cultural, economic, political, and social developments that have shaped Europe from around 1450 to the present. 

“I like [AP European history] a lot. I never really liked history until this year. We go really in depth of what happens in history rather than focus on dates and times compared to all the other history classes I have taken” Channing Kice, 10, said. 

With the shift in the weighting system, Spring Hill encourages students to embrace challenging courses like these AP classes. This not only allows students to push their academic boundaries, but also demonstrates to potential colleges their readiness to take on rigorous academic pursuits.