Judging by the Tune

A variety of music artists are displayed. Students enjoy many different styles and can share similarities and differences between their favorite artists (Photo illustration by K. Tran).

Every student has their own interests and enjoyments. Whether it is music, sports, or arts, all of us are different in our own ways. Within life, and especially throughout high school, people can be judgmental. 

One interest that I think should never be judged is music. 

There are a variety of music artists and music styles that students listen to. From mainstream artists, underground artists, or music from different countries, everyone has their own taste. I believe that there are many artists that are good in different ways, but people think because you support a certain one, you are a certain way. Music has become a trend and has been spread across lots of platforms. 

I have genres and artists that I like, but that does not mean I should be judged for what I listen to. K-pop is an example of music that can be judged or looked down upon without taking the time to know what it is. It has only been around a year since I fully got into K-pop, but even before then I would hear people around me making judgy comments about other’s music taste. I shouldn’t have to like or dislike a certain artist or music style. 

Some people make me uncomfortable to talk about the subject of music, which causes me to hide what I listen to. Hearing comments such as, “Gross why do you listen to them” or feeling pressured to know a specific artist’s songs are things that I have experienced. Over time I have learned that those judgemental comments should not justify the music I want to listen to.