Lovely Languages

Spanish 4 students work on their bellwork before class is fully underway. Spanish is the only language class offered at the high school. (Photo by K. Tran)

I think making an attempt to learn a second language, if you’re not already bilingual, is important. Languages are used for communication, but also connecting with others. While I am not learning multiple different languages, I love languages in general.

Languages are an integral part of culture and are important to many people. 

I grew up in a bilingual household but have slowly lost my ability to speak Vietnamese over the years. Like many others, I would not be able to confidently say I spoke my native language well. My best skill is oral comprehension, but skills like reading, writing, and speaking are lacking. This can create a small language barrier between the older generation and the

The flag hallway is a representation of the different cultures, languages, and countries that have been a part of the high school. Foreign exchange students are a good way for students to be exposed to different languages. (Photo by K. Tran)

younger generation. Despite this, I am trying to regain what I lost. With one of the most helpful language learning resources readily available, native speakers, I hope to be able to improve my Vietnamese speaking ability.

Other than communicating, I am exposed to a variety of languages through entertainment.

I’ve watched shows in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, and a few in Portuguese. I also listen to music in a bunch of these languages, along with Vietnamese. While watching shows and listening to music is a good way to learn languages, it is not my goal. I watch these shows and listen to these songs purely for entertainment. Being willing to be exposed to different languages expands the selection you have entertainment-wise. 

There are multiple benefits to learning various languages, but also to simply be aware of different cultures is important. I think language is a big part of culture and history, and I plan to continue incorporating different languages into my life.