Ten Hut! Ten Hut!

Tarvin+takes+pictures+with+fellow+band+members+in+the+stands+during+the+pink+out+game+on+Oct.+20.+They+enjoyed+the+theme+while+supporting+the+band+and+cheering+on+the+football+team+%28Photo+by+A.+Fuqua%29.+
Tarvin takes pictures with fellow band members in the stands during the pink out game on Oct. 20. They enjoyed the theme while supporting the band and cheering on the football team (Photo by A. Fuqua).

This year’s marching season has officially come to an end. This season has changed my life in ways that I never could have imagined. Coming into my third year of marching, I felt very confident in my marching abilities and what I knew about the activity, even though I knew just about everything would be different. I knew we would have a new director and would be competing at a higher level than we ever had before. 

Mr. Bartley has taught me so many lessons that apply on and off the field. He has taught me that winning is truly a byproduct of the work you put in during rehearsals. He’s shown me that true and honest communication is the only way to stay afloat. He’s shown all of us that the way we present ourselves on the field is just as important as how we act and interact with others in the

The band gathers together after they take first place at Baker University’s Marching Festival. The drumline, colorguard, and band were all awarded one ratings (Photo by M. Tarvin).

stands. 

Having the opportunity to compete at a higher level is something that I will cherish for a lifetime. The experience of competing at KBA (state level marching competition) compared to Baker and Emporia is unmatched. Having the opportunity to see other bands perform and see an example of the group that we have started to become over the last few years is something that I am so grateful for. I am so incredibly proud of the results of all of our competitions this year. Only being 0.25 points away from making finals is pretty insane for the first time competing there. 

“Images of Spain” is a show I will hold near and dear to my heart. This show was so incredibly fun to perform, from the latin music, the smooth choreography, down to the drum major’s outfits. While the road was bumpy, winding, and a little confusing, I wouldn’t have changed this experience for anything. I am so proud of the show we performed, and I am so grateful for the friends I have made along the way. Here’s to next year, the last one.