The Socials to Cleanse The Soul

Many people open TikTok as soon as they wake up in the morning, derailing their focus for the day. A social media detox prevents this.

Social media is something that is a daily part of many people’s lives, and can overtake everything that we do. A common thing that most people do when they wake up in the morning is reach over to our nightstand, and check our phone with all of the messages, notifications, and alerts that we got overnight. With the New Year, the challenge of doing a social media cleanse has become all of the rage. What is a social media cleanse? Exactly what it sounds like, getting rid of all social media for a certain period of time. 

You might think that you would be able to do it for a day, but as someone who chose to do a cleanse last year, I’m here to tell you it is much harder than you would think. In January and some of February 2023, I chose to delete my Instagram and Tiktok. The first week was definitely the toughest. I woke up everyday reaching for my phone, but finding nothing to do on it. Because of this, I became much more productive. I found that instead of spending my time scrolling on Tiktok, I was finishing all of my homework and spending time with my family. At the end of my cleanse, I realized I was much happier; I hadn’t compared myself to anyone. It was an extremely  positive experience for me. I  believe that everyone should do a social media detox, even just for a short period of time. I encourage you for the New Year to go without social media and be present in the moment.