Love Story on the Field

Picture+of+the+Eras+Tour+at+Arrowhead+Stadium.+Sold+out+stadium+waiting+for+Taylor+Swift+to+perform+%28picture+by+A.+Watson%29.+
Picture of the Eras Tour at Arrowhead Stadium. Sold out stadium waiting for Taylor Swift to perform (picture by A. Watson).

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s love story has fans saying yes, with Swifties, Chads, Brads, and dads following every detail (willingly or not) of their relationship. Many know the timeless romance that started with Kelce’s failed attempt to give his number to Swift at her Eras Tour concert at Arrowhead Stadium. 

However, with love in the air, the relationship has caused a lot of controversy. Fans of the Chiefs and the NFL have argued that the attendance has lowered Kelce’s stats, which has proven to be untrue. They also have complained about the two minutes of screen time Swift has had on their TV’s (but the average fifty minutes worth of commercials during a regular season game seems to not mind them). With all the negativity, Swift has actually made a collective $300 million for the Chiefs and the league. 

The NFL has always been known to attract more men than women. With Swift added to the picture, games with Swift have led to a twenty-seven million viewership in a single game- thanks to young women. This new era of football viewership is something we have never seen before. 

Swift has been attacked ever since the Kanye West drama at the MTV Music Awards in 2009; West claimed Beyonce should have won best music video instead of Swift. The main reason for the majority of drama is driven by sexism and misogyny. Swift is unmarried, a successful business woman, and has a career that is not centered toward the male gaze. She is not denying of her own sexuality, but does not capitalize on it. 

Even through all the negativity, Swift has been able to overcome and empower all the hate that comes to her. She received another two Grammys’ on Feb. 5, including Album of the Year, ‘Midnights’. Swift returns to her Eras Tour in Tokyo on Feb. 7. 

There are no confirmations if Swift will be there to cheer for Kelce on the sidelines in Las Vegas for Super Bowl LVIII, but the Japanese Embassy states it is possible for her to make it with reasonable time.