Highly Haunted Halloween Costume Review

• Delaney Palmer, 11, waits in the bathroom for their friends to get ready for their halloween plans. They are wearing their Mary Popping costume (Photo by A. Crabtree).

• Casey O’Neal, 12, wears their scary clown costume before starting their ceramics project. Costumes are a great way to express creativity (Photo by A. Rushing).

• Jordyn Vanderveur, 10, poses with Lenore Pinkerton, 9, in photo imaging class. Practically everyone they came in contact with laughed and appreciated their costumes (Photo by A. Rushing).

Halloween is the best holiday, that’s not even a question; however, the creativity of students’ costumes is up for debate. Let’s review some Halloween costumes. 

Disclaimer: I’m not judging any of these costumes based on the person themself. I’m going to be focusing on creativity, effort, and if they accomplished their vision. 

Founding father or Mary Poppings? While the effort was there, I don’t think Delaney Palmer, 11, achieved their vision of this classic movie character. The costume is practical and relatively simple which is why I didn’t recognize it. Perhaps if they spoke in a British accent and repeated “Hello, I’m Mary Poppins” the whole night, everyone would get the message. However, I can say I’ve never seen a Mary Poppins costume before. Because of this, I give the costume a 4/10. 

I’ve always been a fan of scary halloween costumes, especially if they are done in a way where they aren’t perceived as corny. Kasey O’Neal accomplished this with their creepy clown costume. While O’Neal achieved their vision, I don’t think the costume is revolutionary in concept. When O’Neal walked into ceramics everyone gasped with excitement and shock, so overall I think it’s an 8/10. 

Costumes centered around pop culture are my absolute favorite. I like them especially if they aren’t too niche and more people can understand the reference. Jordyn Vanderveur, 10, and Lenore Pinkerton, 9, wore matching costumes mimicking Adam Sandler. I think if someone commits to the bit hard enough to where they are drawing a beard on their face with markers, they automatically win Halloween. This is, unsurprisingly, a 9.75/10.