Nightmare on Quality Street

Blumhouse+Productions+is+a+widely+known+movie+production+company.+They+not+only+made+Night+Swim%2C+but+also+produced+Five+Nights+at+Freddys%2C+The+Visit%2C+and+Megan+%28Provided+by+Sysen+Film+Production%29.+
Blumhouse Productions is a widely known movie production company. They not only made Night Swim, but also produced Five Nights at Freddys, The Visit, and Megan (Provided by Sysen Film Production).

Recently, I’ve noticed a decline in the production of horror movies. I don’t mean that they’re not making enough, I mean producers are just lacking in many aspects when it comes to creating ‘good’ horror films. A prime example of this is the newly released movie “Night Swim.” This movie was produced by Blumhouse Production Company and I mention that because, in the movie industry, Blumhouse is known for making ‘top tier’ horror movies, and I went to go watch it last weekend with my friend. 

Despite high expectations, I walked out of the theater feeling very underwhelmed and unimpressed. Don’t get me wrong, the plot was good, the concept was promising, and the acting wasn’t horrible. The execution, though? Whether it’s the influence of Gen-Z or the frustrating trend of having good ideas marred by poor execution, the movie industry is just grappling with a decline in quality in general. 

I think this just proves that a reliance on predictable tropes and prioritizing jumpscares over genuine psychological terror can undermine even the most intriguing storylines. I hope that the industry will soon recognize and address these problems to continue making those ‘top tier’ horror movies that don’t just appeal to the newest generations and can leave audiences feeling fulfilled, and even uneasy by the end of them.